During active drug use, you may have forgotten about how to take care of yourself in order to maintain a healthy and more enjoyable life. But during recovery, keeping structure and order in your life is very vital to living that amazing life you envision.
That said, how do you sustain your good health? It’s achievable with these 7 goods that are assured to help you enjoy a good life in recovery.
The 7 Goods
- Food and water
- Healthy Relationships
- Medical Attention
- Personal Hygiene
Let’s look at how these 7 goods will help you enjoy a good life in recovery.
Food and Water: Why this is good for you
- Try as much as you can to avoid getting hungry; it intensifies cravings
- Eat balanced meals; a portion of carbohydrates should be balanced with some protein and vegetables
- Breakfast is very important since it helps you start your day so don’t skip it
- Avoid eating too much processed foods
- Also, avoid taking in junk food
- Stay away from fizzy and sugary drinks; take fruits, juices and smoothies instead
- Drink lots and lots of water; it helps to flush toxins out of the body
Exercise: Why this is good for you
- Exercising regularly boosts energy and improves mood
- It also helps prevent health conditions such as stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and others
- Exercising keeps us fit and generally feeling strong thus it is important to exercise at least three times a week.
- You can jog or go for walks – anything that will make you sweat and or work the heart muscles is good for you.
- You can get a trainer at the gym to help you through if you can afford the time and money
Sleep: Why this is good for you
- Sleep is very important in helping relieve stress and improving general well being
- Every normal adult needs about eight hours of sleep to feel fully rested for the next day’s activities
Healthy Relationships: Why this is good for you
- Any individual in recovery needs the support of family and friends – Keeping a good relationship with them is key in sustaining abstinence
- Avoid keeping in touch with ‘old-using’ friends and dealers
- Try hard not to jump too quickly into romantic relationships because they come with a lot of stress which you may not be ready to deal with
Medical Attention: Why this is good for you
- It is very dangerous to self-medicate, especially when you have any form of pain because some pain killers are made from opium derivatives which work like heroin and thus can be very addictive.
- Always consult a medical doctor for treatment when you are sick and do well to take the exact dosage prescribed to you to avoid having any complications
Personal Hygiene: Why this is good for you
- For a general feeling of well being, keep your body and surroundings clean
- Take care of your mouth by brushing your teeth at least twice daily
- Wash your clothes and underwear regularly
- Keep a generally clean outlook and don’t forget to keep your private areas clean too.
Spirituality: Why this is good for you
- You cannot beat your addiction without totally turning your life around for the better; one sure way to do that is to become closer to your Maker.
- Make time every day to pray, read the holy teachings and have regular fellowship with people of the same faith
- Make sure you practice the Word you read and hear at fellowship
Keep in mind that recovery is not just aimed at maintaining abstinence, but achieving total well being, transformation and improved quality of life. Therefore, diligently practice these 7 goods needed for a healthy life in recovery and you will begin to see a transformation in your life.